Sunday, September 19, 2010

This Ain't Kansas, Toto

none shall pass.


I didn't complete my 5 mile run on Thursday and I have a good excuse: there was a tornado in Brooklyn.

I've always wondered if it was possible for a tornado to go through a big city like Manhattan, or Brooklyn--what a juxtaposition that would be: skyscraper. wind funnel. And on Thursday, it happened. Sort of.

"I was in the kitchen, doing the dishes . . . "



Here's our recap: The dogs and I were on our way to Prospect Park. The news had mentioned the possibility of showers, or even a thunderstorm. I brought my raincoat. But halfway there, the sky grew dark. Lightning started to strike rapidly, like every 50 seconds. Maybe (my dog) went what we call "dogatonic" (like catatonic) after she heard thunder, so we went back home. Seconds after I closed the front door, the windows in our apartment started shaking. The sky outside was greenish black. It was fascinating and a little scary, and the three of us--Maybe, Huckleberry and yours truly--took to the hallway for shelter. As tree branches swirled around outside, we crouched in the hallway, cross-legged with our heads between our legs, just like I learned in my Midwestern elementary school tornado drills.

Check out this crazy video that was shot just around the corner from our apartment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3bYbYZ-ryc&feature=player_embedded

That night, after the storm, Andrew, the dogs and I went to Prospect Park to investigate the damage. It was pretty insane! Here are some pictures that I took on Friday morning during the dogs' park squirrel patrol:






Maybe poses to demonstrate the scale comparison (for length, not girth.)




Huck and Maybe check for squirrel fatalities.


In an hour or so, I'm off to do my longest run yet, and I'm very intimidated: 22 MILES!!!!

My dad will be running his 22 today as well, back home along the Michigan cornfields. I'll be running mine in Central Park, for a change of scenery. I'm not sure how to brace myself for this, other than to JUST DO IT. Wish me luck!

P.S. SOS!!!! I'm still only 31% of the way into my fundraiser. For the love of dog, PLEASE HELP! If you could be so kind to spread the word of my fundraiser (or donate!) and the charity I'm running for (they're called Ready for Rescue)--send it to friends, family, post on facebook, twitter, ANYTHING--I'd be much obliged. And THANK YOU to everyone who has sponsored me: you're helping neglected animals get the love and care they deserve! Here's the most recent rescue in need of a home:


This dog Murphy was taken to my vet's my his owner to be euthanized because she just didn't have enough time for him. He was sweet, they couldn't do it so we are now looking for a foster or forever home. I took him on a walk today and he is indeed a very nice dog. He's a neutered 5 year old Weimaraner mix. Please let ...me know if you would like to help him.



No comments:

Post a Comment