Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Toenail Fell Off


Some things I can't believe:

1. That the marathon is only 37 days away.

2. That I'm capable of running 20 miles. (I learned this last Saturday)

3. That toenails actually do fall off after long runs . . . mine just did!



So last Saturday, I ran my first 20-mile stint! (I can't believe it, either.) It wasn't so bad, but it wasn't so easy. Naturally, when you are unable to lift your feet off the ground and the only way to be mobile is to shuffle, your brain tells your body to just stop running. But I couldn't--this happened at mile 19.5. . . I was so close!


Perky before 20!



The whole run took about 4 1/2 hours. I learned some very important things: EAT A LOT. Like a car, a body cannot run without being properly fuel. Also, pace yourself. . . steady pace wins the race. Also, wear shoes that are at least one size bigger than what your normal shoe size is--feet swell! And they sweat, so it's vital to wear socks that wick. Not socks that suck.

Not so perky now, are we?



When we got home, I couldn't sit still but I couldn't really move, either. It took me about 3 days to fully recover. And then my toenail fell off! Also, I've also been waking up around 3 a.m. every night and raiding the freezer for more ice cream. I can't help it!

I used to have pretty feet. Really.


The next 20-mile run is on Labor Day. . . wish me luck! I'll write a more detailed post about it on the day after . . .

2 comments:

  1. Yep, gone are the days of pretty feet and full sets of toenails :)

    Congrats on losing your first one - it didn't happen to me until somewhere around mile 22 of my first marathon. But I've since gotten used to life with 8-ish nails :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats lady! I'm so proud of you -- and in this heat. You go gurl. :)

    ReplyDelete