Thursday, July 15, 2010

Running Through Time

I recently asked my father (Phillip) to give me a little overview on his relationship with running. Below, I've posted his email response. His thoughts were surprising, because it hadn't really occurred to me that my dad was getting older. I hadn't realized running isn't as easy as it used to be for him. I didn't know he had to take two ibuprofen a day now. Or that his recovery time takes much longer than it used to. My father has always been timeless to me. I'd never seen him as a person who grows old. He's just My Dad. It's difficult for me to recognize him as someone who, like everyone else, is just a human. --Mira



Dad and Sabina, circa 1981


I have been running since med school . . . so since 1971, but not far and not often. When we all moved to Battle Creek is when I really started to run more regularly, ie 3 to 4 times a week - but only 3 to 4 miles at a time. And I have been a faithful runner in different countries (vacations) and all different times of the year. But I have never really studied running . . . never stretched . . . always had cheap shoes . . . just ran.

stud!

I had thought about running the marathon occasionally but it always just seemed to be"way out there" . . . over my head. I figured it would take too much time and dedication to prepare for a marathon.

Then, all of a sudden, I hit age 60 and figured that it was too late to even think about running a marathon - I was afraid that I would hurt myself, my knees, etc.

Andy and Dad, prom date pose


When Mira, our youngest daughter, suggested that we run a marathon together . . . BOOM! I jumped at the chance. Suddenly, it seemed possible. We could do it together. I had new courage and motivation. I would never have done this alone. Period.




So far, things are going "ok". I have seen a podiatrist because of right foot pain and he tells me that I have arthritis of my right great toe. Today, I saw an orthopedic doc re: my right knee pain and he tells me that I have some arthritis in my inner right knee. But neither of these docs considered the problem significant enough that I shouldn't train for and run the marathon. And I looked at the x-rays myself and they actually looked pretty good to me.



Things have changed, tho. Now, I am taking ibuprofen twice a day most every day. And I am going to start taking glucosamine, too, and I now have a heel wedge in my right shoe to help with my bowlegged tendency and decrease the discomfort.

As a vegetarian, I need to read up on nutrition for a vegetarian, age 61, preparing for a marathon . . . (I've been saying this for the past two months.) All I am doing now is trying to make sure I eat after I run and trying to eat a lot of protein (eggs, protein bars, beans, etc.)

Mira's wedding. We danced to "Should've Known Better" by She and Him


Well! We are now up to 12 miles at a run and this Sunday I believe it'll be 13! Sarah, one of my running colleagues at work, tells me that this is when a lot of training people quit. I'm glad she warned me.

One step at a time . . . .breathe in, breathe out.

---Phil

1 comment:

  1. Oh i love this post by your dad! What an amazing thing you two are sharing together on this journey.

    ReplyDelete