Thursday, July 29, 2010

13 Miles = Superbad (in a good way)

This past Sunday, I ran my first "half-marathon". It was unintentional: I was supposed to run 13 miles, which is just under the halfway mark of the 26.2 mile race, but it turns out that the loop we run in Prospect Park is 3.35 miles, and we ran the loop four times . . .


superDORK!


Running 13 plus miles was much less difficult than I had anticipated. There were several reasons why it was a successful run: I was well hydrated, it wasn't very hot outside, I had eaten enough food, and I was wearing good gear (lightweight and not annoying, and my sweat didn't make it look like I peed my pants). But I think there was one key factor that made my run so smooth: James Brown.

That's right. Before we hit the ground running, I downloaded J.B.'s 20 All Time Greatest Hits into my ipod. The music was perfect: good rhythm, wild, unrestrained, steady . . . it made me forget that I was running because I was, like, dancing inside. That man is FUNKY.

To my surprise, 13 miles did not hurt!

But it was a different story when I got home:


exhausted, accomplished, and still a dork.


Dad's knee is still injured, so he's been working out on the elliptical. I have no idea what it's like to trudge on that machine for two hours, but he's going to drop me a line soon and update me/you on his progress.

We're off to Battle Creek, Michigan, tomorrow for a vacation with the family. My dad and I will be running 15 miles together on Saturday!

Here goes nothin' . . .

3 comments:

  1. Waaaaahooooo! You are so inspiring! And you make my every-other-day 5K look sooooo wussy!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at those runner legs.....if you can do 13 "unintentionally" you can do 26 intentionally...i need your address so i can send you one of my running mixes to load into your ipod...

    I'm supposed to run a 7.2 mile race in a few weeks but have been sidelined by some food poisoining so I'm going to channel some Mira that day otherwise I'll be horizontal before the race begins..

    champion mira--that's my new nickname for you

    ReplyDelete